So I’ve had this blog for over a year now. I know I’ve been neglectful-don’t know why I’m apologizing but I am. This could be something if I let it be but I didn’t. So I am vowing to not be so neglectful. Festival season is upon us and there are always interesting things going on in the film world, from a Brooklyn perspective. Tribeca and SXSW are around the corner and yes I will be attending both this year.
So far 2013 is set to be a good year for independent cinema. With Inocente being the first Oscar-winning film to every be crowd-sourced, Beasts of the Southern Wild getting four Oscar nominations (though it should have won in all four categories but that’s neither here nor there right now) there is a change happening in how the world views independent film.
With this changing landscape, there are films I am personally looking forward to this year. Will there be another Beasts? Not sure. But there are some really great films out there so far. This is not a comprehensive list by any means. There will be new films that I am just hearing about that I will add in. Also, these films are in no particular order.
- Blue Caprice, Dir. -which is opening New Directors / New Films!
- Ain’t Them Bodies Saints, Dir. David Lowery
- American Promise, Dir. Joe Brewster, Michèle Stephenson
- Anita, Dir. Freida Mock
- Fruitvale, Dir. Ryan Coogler
- Newlyweeds, Dir. Shaka King
- The New Black, Dir. Yoruba Richen
- Strong Island, Dir. Yance Ford
- The Forgotten Kingdom, Dir. Andrew Mudge